Recommandés :

- Jeux gratuits
- Nos autres sites

Publicités :

Correction/sentences

Forum > English only || Bottom

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Correction/sentences
Message from mohammad51 posted on 01-04-2020 at 20:44:20 (D | E | F)
Hello
Please, if anyone could help...
Thank you in advance.

Correct the following sentences
1. The marquess was the executor of her husband's estate.
What is the wrong with this? I see no wrong with no spelling wrong, no tense is wrong.
If it is beyond vocabularies
marquess (British word ) = a title of nobility ranking between a duke and an earl, marquis.
also ( marquis) in some European countries) a nobleman ranking above a count and below a duke. Compare with marquess.
Is it beyond ( genitive ) ?

2. He married a beautiful actor. This is known , it should be actress

3. The tiger broke from its cage. ?
Perhaps broke out not broke from break from = end relation

4. The duck was pluming his feathers after his swim, and the goose had wandered from his companions across the meadows.
I can't imagine what is the wrong with ! Perhaps from his company ?

5. The baby girl in "The Princess" may be called the real hero of the tale.

This also the last I have no idea about. The princess = correct word = daughter of the king and queen
Hmm I found, it should be ( heroine ) not hero

Now 2 and 5 I got it , perhaps help for 1, 3 , and 4.

Re: Correction/sentences from gerold, posted on 01-04-2020 at 22:18:43 (D | E)
Hello

1) The marquess is the husband, his wife is the ...
3) The opposite of "into" is not "out" alone, but "out ..."? ("out" alone is an adverb, not a preposition).
4) Look at the tenses in the two clauses.

Re: Correction/sentences from mohammad51, posted on 01-04-2020 at 23:05:57 (D | E)
Thank you dear teacher gerold

The marquess was the executor of her husband's estate.

you said : The marquess is the husband, his wife is the ..

I don't get you to say is or was no sense it does

Perhaps a woman her name is ( X ) then the marquess is the executor of X's husband.
What is the wrong with ?
Do you mean ( The marquess wife was the executor of her husband's estate) ?

For 4 ( 4. The duck was pluming his feathers after his swim, and the goose had wandered from his companions across the meadows)

you said check the tenses.

I can say : The duck was pluming his feathers after his swim, and the goose wandered \ was wandering from his company across the meadows

Dear teacher gerold the exercise I got from the book ( Practical exercises in English \ EXERCISE XVI page 22) .. Lastly I searched the engine and noticed the same sentence is used as an ( example sentence )
Executor in a sentence
7. The marquess was the executor of her husband's estate.
Link

Re: Correction/sentences from lucile83, posted on 02-04-2020 at 09:26:48 (D | E)
Hello,
A marquess/marquis/marchese is a man; a marchioness/marquise is a woman.

Re: Correction/sentences from mohammad51, posted on 02-04-2020 at 11:18:17 (D | E)
Hello
Then I agree with you dear teacher lucile83

Here it is mentioned in the same book:
masculine ... -- \\ feminine
marquis, marquess \\ marchioness
The marquess was the executor of her husband's estate.
A man was the executor of her husband's estate.
A woman ( any woman ) was trusted to someone to be the executor of her husband's estate.

executor
■ noun Law a person appointed by a testator to carry out the terms of their will.

This sentence makes me out of my sort. What's the wrong with ?
The matter is not beyond a man or a woman perhaps the executor is a man or woman.
if we say was executor of the estate of her husband = not wrong but seems awkward.

Re: Correction/sentences from gerold, posted on 02-04-2020 at 18:49:27 (D | E)
Hello

In fact, this sentence is confusing: "Her" does not necessarily refer to the marquess's wife, and the testator is not necessarily the marquess, but it's plausible. The marquess could be the executor for the estate of his aunt's husband.
In itself, the sentence is not wrong.
A female executor is sometimes (rarely) referred to as an executrix.

Re: Correction/sentences from mohammad51, posted on 03-04-2020 at 13:41:00 (D | E)
Hello
Many thanks to all who contribute
Now I answer all the the questions
Correct the following sentences:—
1. The marquess was the executor of her husband's estate.
2. He married a beautiful actor.
3. The tiger broke from its cage.
4. The duck was pluming his feathers after his swim, and the goose had wandered
from his companions across the meadows.
5. The baby girl in "The Princess" may be called the real hero of the tale.
---
First of all, the author depended on the old English making a distinguish between genders. Now somehow the matter is dated.
And this is the main point beyond this exercise.

1 - according to old English I suggest using (was the marchioness' estate or marchioness's estate and remove her husband)
2- change actor to actress
3- broke from no wrong with ( A tiger is a tiger now, whether it is male or female)
The author uses the old English and makes a distinguish between male and female.
The female of tiger is tigers, now tiger is used for both genders.
4- change ( duck ) to drake
5- change hero to heroine.

Re: Correction/sentences from gerold, posted on 04-04-2020 at 13:40:58 (D | E)
Hello

3. The tiger broke from its cage. I would say "out of" instead of "from".
A female tiger is a tigress (not tigers): the tigress broke out of her cage, the tiger broke out of his cage, but "its" is correct in both cases. There may be a mistake in the exercise.
4. A male goose is a gander.

Re: Correction/sentences from mohammad51, posted on 05-04-2020 at 15:32:20 (D | E)
Hello
Thank you dear teacher gerold for the correction

then according to male and female ( Q 4 ) it should both belong to the same family
genders ..
4. The duck was pluming his feathers after his swim, and the goose had wandered.
duck = female drake = male duck
so the first we change it to drake and the second to duck.
OR to change the first to a male of goose = "gander"
Thank you very much

[POST A NEW REPLY] [Subscribe to this topic]

Forum > English only

Partager : Facebook / Twitter / ... 

> INDISPENSABLES : TESTEZ VOTRE NIVEAU | GUIDE DE TRAVAIL | NOS MEILLEURES FICHES | Les fiches les plus populaires | Aide/Contact

> COURS ET TESTS : Abréviations | Accords | Adjectifs | Adverbes | Alphabet | Animaux | Argent | Argot | Articles | Audio | Auxiliaires | Chanson | Communication | Comparatifs/Superlatifs | Composés | Conditionnel | Confusions | Conjonctions | Connecteurs | Contes | Contraires | Corps | Couleurs | Courrier | Cours | Dates | Dialogues | Dictées | Décrire | Démonstratifs | Ecole | Etre | Exclamations | Famille | Faux amis | Films | Formation | Futur | Fêtes | Genre | Goûts | Grammaire | Grands débutants | Guide | Géographie | Heure | Homonymes | Impersonnel | Infinitif | Internet | Inversion | Jeux | Journaux | Lettre manquante | Littérature | Magasin | Maison | Majuscules | Maladies | Mots | Mouvement | Musique | Mélanges | Méthodologie | Métiers | Météo | Nature | Nombres | Noms | Nourriture | Négations | Opinion | Ordres | Participes | Particules | Passif | Passé | Pays | Pluriel | Politesse | Ponctuation | Possession | Poèmes | Pronominaux | Pronoms | Prononciation | Proverbes | Prépositions | Présent | Présenter | Quantité | Question | Relatives | Sports | Style direct | Subjonctif | Subordonnées | Synonymes | Temps | Tests de niveau | Tous les tests | Traductions | Travail | Téléphone | Vidéo | Vie quotidienne | Villes | Voitures | Voyages | Vêtements

> INFORMATIONS : Copyright - En savoir plus, Aide, Contactez-nous [Conditions d'utilisation] [Conseils de sécurité] Reproductions et traductions interdites sur tout support (voir conditions) | Contenu des sites déposé chaque semaine chez un huissier de justice. NE PAS COPIER | Mentions légales / Vie privée / Cookies.
| Cours et exercices d'italien 100% gratuits, hors abonnement internet auprès d'un fournisseur d'accès.